April 18, 2009

A Book Review


I recently had the privilege to review the children's book, Dudley's Solo by Tiffany Alexander. This is a delightful tale about a boy named Dudley, who is uniquely different from other kids. Children who read Dudley's story will see that everyone is special in their own way...whether they have brown hair or wear glasses or use their hands to talk. Dudley's Solo is an encouraging read about friendship, acceptance and confidence for children of all ages!




**Children's Author Tiffany Alexander say, "Growing up visually impaired had a tremendous impact on my life," who was legally blind until middle school. "I could do what most of the kids could do, but I always had limitations. As hard as it was to be different, I gained inner-strength and the desire to persevere no matter what."

The first book in the Children's Band series, "Dudley's Solo" takes place at a neighborhood church where the children's band excitedly rehearses for their upcoming choir concert, including Dudley, a hearing-impaired little boy. But being deaf doesn't prevent him from participating in the concert. Encouraged by his friends and father, Dudley embraces his disability and becomes the star of the show by signing the words to "He's Got the Whole World in His Hands" to the entire congregation.

"Children's band was instrumental in my spiritual and social growth. Like Dudley, this is where I received my earliest encouragement," Alexander says. "The other kids and I learned the importance of volunteering, being a good citizen, and mostly importantly, I learned that I could do anything if I put my mind to it."

Tiffany Alexander resides in Atlanta, Ga., and works as an editor for CNN. She is a member of the Independent Books Publishers Association, The National Association of Black Journalists, Hampton University Alumni Association and the African-American Children's Book Writers and Illustrators. She is currently working on the next book in the Children's Band series called "Ebenezer Opens a Savings Account."
For more information, please visit www.ChildrensBand.com.**

No comments:

Photobucket
 
Restored 316 Designs