March 08, 2007

Thankful Thursday



Today I'm so thankful for ~
the 2 Cherubs God has blessed me with! :)



Psalm 127:3 "Children are a gift from the Lord; they are a reward from Him. Children born to a young man are like sharp arrows in a warrior's hands. How happy is the man whose quiver is full of them! He will not be put to shame when he confronts his accusers at the city gates."


What a high calling and privilege it is to be blessed with children and to raise them in a God-glorifying way! In a day and age where children are looked at as inconviences and distractions or disruptions to our plans, where they spend more time at daycare than they do with us (I realize that this is a generalization and that some single parents have no choice about this)...but I do believe that being Christians parents we should be as different as daylight and dark from the world's concepts and views of parenting. We have a TOTALLY different standard, starting point and power because our God is the BEST PARENT ever...He totally rocks as our Abba Father. We have the best example laid out and practiced before our very eyes. Know what that means? That means, it doesn't matter if your parents were horrible or parents of the year...it doesn't matter because as a child of God, He lives in you and wants to be the best parents to your kids in and through you!! And He has chosen my kids to grow up with Joel and I...we were "made for each other". That means that God has blessed us with everything we need to raise our 2 cherubs in a godly manner. How awesome is that?!



You know Scripture never says ANYwhere that raising kids is easy or convenient or a no-brainer. How many references are there in the Bible to teaching, guiding, exhorting, passing knowlege on to our children??! Lots! Recently, when Joel and I were at the Weekend to Remember marriage conference (Family Life) they had special modules for parents. We were so encouraged...parenting is a PARTICIPANT SPORT, we can't expect to raise children like an afterthought...with no "game plan", purpose, vision or communication/dialogue with our spouse. Parents, we are in a battle for our kids and we need to be PRO-ACTIVE not reactive! Do we realize how many things fight for our children's hearts, thoughts, attention and spirit, soul and body?? I've been struck by an article I read recently that cited how many hours a day American's children spends in front of a media object or a screen of some type (tv, computer, PlayStation, cell phone, etc). Wow, y'all I've been guilty of letting the tv "babysit" my kids...I was really convicted about this. Know how much junk is flying at them through the tv when we're not looking?



Ok, so I'll get off my soapbox and simply say this...today I'm thankful, so thankful for my cherubs, Alex and Chloe!!




  • I'm thankful for the honor and privilege to be called "Mom"...when so many women struggle with not being able to conceive or carry a baby to full term. I am determined to not take that for granted and to be thankful every day for the 2 little bright lights in my life!


  • I'm thankful for their childlike faith that humbles me and reminds me to have simple childlike faith in my heavenly Father. They take everything at face value and never think suspiciously of another person. They trust me, time and time again...they never doubt my word. Oh, how I long to have that kind of faith!


  • I'm thankful for the way they forgive me when I've failed them or hurt them or made a mistake. Can you imagine what the world would be like if we all exhibited that kind of forgiveness? My kids never say to me, that is the 3rd time you've done that and I'm not forgiving you again! They never remind me that I've failed them in the past and that they simply can't trust me again. They don't hold grudges. This is true forgiveness.


  • I'm thankful for the way they love with abandon...running full speed, arms open wide with smiles as big as their faces and jump into my arms. What in this world is better than that y'all??! They don't hold anything back and they're not afraid to tell me they love me a million times over...they can never say it too much! And they don't love me because I deserve it...they just love me, plain and simple.


  • I'm thankful for the way they look at me and see their "hero"...they don't see my faults or blemishes (except when they point out a pimple :). They see me for who I am and they believe in me simply because I'm their Mom.


  • I'm thankful for the way they show me that it's the simple things in life that count...they don't care if I take them to Disney World or the park down the road...as long as they're WITH me! They don't care if I buy them lots of toys to play with or if I play outside with me building a house out of sticks and rocks. They point out the beautiful sky, the birds that sing, the tiny little bugs and the sparkling snow. They can make a pirate ship out of comforters and make a lasso out of my robe's belt...their imagination is one of the best tools they have!


  • I'm thankful for the way they bounce back, adapt and move on...I can learn so much from them. When they're sick, they may be a little "whiney" but overall, they just deal with it and move on...they don't walk around groaning like they're going to die or complain from sunup to sundown (like us adults do). When we came back from overseas, they just simply adapted to life here...this was home now and they were content. When Chloe got hurt, she didn't lay around saying this stinks or why me? She got her new leg and she said "outta my way, I'm taking off!" She is my inspiration! When Alex got banged in the head and had 6 staples put in to piece him back together...he was rocking and rolling the next day at school jumping off the jungle gym. God made Kids INCREDIBLE!! I am in awe...


  • I'm thankful for the way they remind me to LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN...I need to be quiet and listen to them more...from the mouths of babes, y'all! I've been so blown away by the things they say and think of. I don't give them enough credit...kids were NOT made to be seen and not heard!! :)


  • I'm thankful for their determination and perseverance...they don't give up! I've watched Chloe work at something and work at it and work at it and she doesn't want help...she wants to do it on her own (granted that is not always a good thing). I think that sometimes they have more patience than I do...I'll just give up but they will keep on going. When they need to communicat something to me, they won't give up or forget...they wait until I'm done or keep trying to get my attention. :)

Well, I could go on and on but I'll stop here...these are just some of my thoughts about my kids today. My heart is so full of thankgiving to the Lord for the 2 gifts He has blessed my husband and I with...we were handpicked for them and they were handpicked for us! Wow, what more can I say? If you're a parent (or an aunt/uncle, cousin or friend to a child) reading this today...go and wrap your (a) little ones in a big bear hug and tell them how very much you love them and how much Jesus loves them...you never know if you'll have the chance to do it tomorrow. Don't put parenting off for when things are "easier", "better" or until you're not tired...it won't happen. :) Y'all have a great day!!


4 comments:

Denise said...

Bless you, and your two sweet little cherubs.I tried for 16 years to become a mom, but it was not to be. You truly are blessed.

eph2810 said...

You are so right about that, Kari. We should be really thankful for what we can learn from our kids. I know I am thankful what I have learned from our son. Thank you for sharing your thankfulness with us this week.

Mel said...

WOW!! You summed up everything i have been thinking, feeling, saying! You write so eloquently and I always enjoy reading your Thankful Thursday's. Being a mom is my proudest accomplishmet and now I am going to go play some lego's and have a tea party!!

Andrea said...

Kari--I want to thank *you* for stopping by *my* blog. I just read Chloe's story and I am in tears. I just don't have words now, but please know I'll be back--I look forward to getting to know you better.

Photobucket
 
Restored 316 Designs