March 11, 2007

I remember Nanny...



It's been a year since my dear Nanny left this earth and ran to the arms of Jesus. To honor and remember her today, I’d like to share with y’all some of my favorite memories of her.

One of the first things that pops into my mind about Nan was that she was a Godly woman who loved and served the Lord and her family with all her heart! Nan’s faith in the Lord was one of a quiet confidence and steadiness. In any conversation with her, she would always point us back to the Lord and His great love for His us. At bedtime my sister and I would always say, “goodnite, Nanny, we love and and we’ll see you in the morning” and she’d say to us, “goodnite girls, I love you and I’ll see you in the morning if it’s the Lord’s will”. My Nan had a wonderful grasp of what was important in life…God, family and friends. I saw in her life a constant and sweet communion with Jesus and it is a lasting and precious legacy she leaves behind to us, her descendants.

Proverbs 31 says, “Who can find a virtuous and capable wife? She is worth far more than rubies. Her husband can trust her, and she will greatly enrich his life. She will not hinder him but help him all her life.” Also in that chapter it says, “She is clothed with strength and dignity…when she speaks, her words are wise, and kindness is the rule when she gives instructions. Her children stand and bless her. Her husband praises her. Charm is deceptive and beauty does not last; but a woman who fears the Lord will be greatly praised. Reward her for all she has done. Let her deeds publicly declare her praise.” As I look back, I see this verse flowing from my Nan’s life.

Another characteristic of Nan’s life to me was that she was always a Lady. Webster’s definition of a lady is this--“A woman of refinement and gentle manners”. Nan was always gently reminding us of what was ladylike. For instance, anytime she came to visit our house and our room was a mess…oh my, she would fuss at us to straighten it immediately! One thing my uncle Scott, Erinn and I would always get in trouble for was goofing off and running around the house (because that DEFINITELY wasn’t ladylike). Oh man, that would irritate the dickens out of Nanny. She would fuss, tell us to stop "horsein" around…of course we never stopped…we’d keep messing around and eventually I’d go tattle on my uncle Scott and get him in trouble…because Nanny always took my side!! :)

At night, Nan always put this expensive cream on her face before she went to bed. So she’d come into our room to say goodnite and we’d fuss at all the cream on her face. She’d say to us, that’s expensive cream…it’ll keep the wrinkles off your face when your old. Here’s let me rub some on your face! And we’d giggle, scream and squirm but she’d put some on our face! :) We fondly called that cream, “Allene’s Vavolene”.

My heart and my mind are filled with so many dear memories of my Nan that I don’t have enough space to tell them all. What I want to say above all is that Nan was the most wonderful grandmother a girl could want. I love her and I miss her with all my heart. But my spirit is filled with hope because right now she is with her Savior with a new mind and a new body. And “In the sweet by and by, we shall meet on that beautiful shore.” I’ll see her again face to face in heaven and I can’t wait for the day when I throw my arms around her neck and kiss her cheek once again! I love you Nanny, you're never out of my heart. Thank you for living out what faith in Jesus truly means...I am forever changed because of you!!

4 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

What a wonderful tribute and so important to write all the memories before you forget them. I only hope my children can have that kind of relationship with their grandparents!

TheRagan3 said...

oh my sweet Nanny. Thanks for the reminder of the memories we have of her. I miss her too but am comforted knowing that she is with Jesus and Moses living free from pain, enjoying HIS presence.
Rin

Andrea said...

She sounds like she was a wonderful grandmother! How blessed you were/are.

Photobucket
 
Restored 316 Designs